This Page

has been moved to new address

Giving up?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: Giving up?

Monday, March 1, 2010

Giving up?

Giving up on a book is something that I almost never do. If I don't like it I usually plow on through and finish it. Occasionally I will put it down and start it again later thinking that I'm just not in the right frame of mind for the story.

I'm interested to see you you handle a book that you aren't enjoying? Do you quit and move on or keep with it?

Let me know!

4 Comments:

At March 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM , Blogger Kallie said...

I very rarely do because I feel like I have to finish things, just to say I did. Most of the time, I'll leave it for something else and come back later. That being said, I've stopped in the middle of Great Expectations due to the horrendous boredom it caused and Helter Skelter due to nightmares and never finished either :)

 
At March 2, 2010 at 6:23 AM , Blogger Reading Allowed said...

I used to feel that way until a year or two ago. Then I heard (geeky librarian reference coming) of Nancy Pearl's Rule of 50, which is that time is limited and there are many too many books to waste your time on a bad one. If you're 50 or younger you should give each book you try 50 pages. If you're older than 50 you subtract your age from 100.

I usually give myself more than 50 pages, but if I'm still not into it after awhile I give myself permission to move on. Life is short!

 
At March 4, 2010 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Teresa said...

Thanks for the comments! I've continued with the book in question this time. I like the suggestion that Reading Allowed makes. I will have to consider that in the future. Really, the only reason that I continued has to do with some silly challenges between my husband and I. There will be more to come on those...

 
At March 19, 2010 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa, I've given up on a few, not many though. Usually, I know by the 2nd or 3rd chapter if a book is 'a go' for me or not. I don't feel guilty about it either because there are too many other books waiting for me to read that ARE good and as you say in your header...not enough time! LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home