This Page

has been moved to new address

Author Spotlight: Holly Christine

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: Author Spotlight: Holly Christine

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Author Spotlight: Holly Christine

Last week I had the pleasure of reviewing Tuesday Tells it Slant by Holly Christine.  This week I get to welcome Holly to Teresa's Reading Corner to talk a little about character development and her inspiration for Tuesday.  Please welcome Holly Christine!

I’m a collector. I write down bits of dialogue, character traits that I find interesting, concepts; you name it. I have piles of information. When I’m ready to do something with them, I pull together all of my little notes and rip off a piece of the 18 x 24” drawing paper that I really should be buying in bulk. The paper is the perfect size for putting bits of a character together: their physical descriptions, their mannerisms, their intentions, and the way they present themselves. Each character gets a piece of paper. After I’ve finished pulling the characters together, I use another sheet of drawing paper and give each character their own bubble. I then connect the character bubbles with lines and write down the nature of their relationship. It’s fun to watch all of my little sticky notes come together as characters instead of small, random notes!

The inspiration for Tuesday Tells it Slant came about during a ride into work. I was singing along to John Mayer’s Who Says and part of the song is about someone who wants to be free of their past, to rewrite their own history. So I started to brainstorm; how could someone rewrite their past? Why would they want to? I was also inspired by an Emily Dickinson poem that I studied in college: Tell all the Truth but tell it Slant. I ended up using a Dickinson poem (she wrote so many about memory) to preface each chapter.  I spent an entire semester studying Emily Dickinson, so that part of Tuesday came from me. It’s funny how bits of a writer’s life come out in their writing. I’m glad that I could put my Dickinson knowledge to use!
Holly, Thank you so much for stopping by Teresa's Reading Corner Today.  I really enjoyed Tuesday Tells it Slant.  I am looking forward to checking out your other work.

For more information on Tuesday Tells it Slant or Holly Christine, please stop by one of these links!
www.twitter.com/hollyrambles

http://www.hollychristineonline.com/

Buy the Book: http://www.amazon.com/Tuesday-Tells-Slant-Holly-Christine/dp/1450571212/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266689057&sr=8-2

Buy for Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Tuesday-Tells-it-Slant-ebook/dp/B0034KYT9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1263756191&sr=8-1


I do not receive any compensation if you use either of these links.  They are provided purely for the convenience of the reader.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At August 14, 2010 at 8:30 AM , Blogger bermudaonion said...

Great post! I think authors must be some of the most observant people in the world.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home