This Page

has been moved to new address

Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis


What its about: A woman who realizes that her body isn't going to be able to sustain her unhealthy ways.  She loses half of her body weight and quits her high stress job as a lawyer.  She goes to culinary school and opens up a gourmet take out cafe that specializes in healthy food.  She's finally getting her life together when she receives a huge shock.  Her husband leaves her for a woman bigger than she ever was.  Introduce a financial crisis, a new roommate and a potential boyfriend, stir vigorously and see what happens. 

Why I read it: How many times have we all thought of the "if only's" in our lives?  When I read the synopsis I thought of all of the times I'd thought that things would be better if... and knew that I had to read this book. 

My thoughts:  I must be on a food kick the last few weeks.  First reading Georgia's Kitchen and all of its fantastic sounding food then immediately picking up Good Enough to Eat.  Each chapter is starts with some sort of dish that is woven into the story either through a memory or something that is happening currently.  The best part, Ballis provides the recipes at the end of the book!  I love the fact that their are healthy versions along side the not so healthy ones.  The only reason I haven't made any of them yet is that it's still too darn hot to cook!

I left the story feeling inspired to do more of the things in life that bring me joy.  Mel does just that.  She quits her high paying job as a lawyer to embrace her love of food in a healthy manner and to help others in their quest to becoming healthy.  She doesn't make as much money, but she is so much happier in her own body and in her life. 

There is a complete cast of quirky characters in this story that add depth to the story.  Ballis introduces enough detail so that you know them as individuals, but not so much that you lose sight of what the story is about.  Like a decadent dessert Good Enough to Eat will satisfy your craving for a great story.

About Stacey Ballis:
Stacey Ballis has several books to her credit.  The Spinster Sisters, Room for Improvement, Sleeping Over and Inappropriate Men.  Good Enough to Eat is her newest release and will be hitting shelves on September 7, 2010.

I will definitely be checking out her other work and be looking forward to her next release. 

You can find her at www.staceyballis.com or at thepolymathchronicles.blogspot.com

Disclosure:  A great big Thank You to Melissa at Penguin for providing me with a copy of Good Enough to Eat and introducing me to this fantastic author.


Labels:

5 Comments:

At September 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds fantastic! What a cute review. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It sounds like it would make an adorable movie. Can't you see it with Sara Rue playing the main character?

 
At September 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Teresa said...

Juju, you are so right! Sara Rue would make a great Mel!

 
At September 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Shonda said...

I just discovered your blog. I'm glad to hear this is a good read. I've been waiting for its release. I purchased it today for my upcoming trip this weekend. I'm trying hard not to begin reading before then.

 
At September 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Teresa said...

Shon, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Drop by and let us know what you thought.

 
At September 24, 2010 at 8:47 AM , Blogger mpartyka said...

I finished this book this week and really liked it alot. I liked that the author talked about the reality of weight loss (all the saggy skin) and the insecurities of getting older (body related).

I need to write my review this weekend... isn't the book cover wonderful?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home