This Page

has been moved to new address

She's Gone Country by Jane Porter

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: She's Gone Country by Jane Porter

Monday, August 23, 2010

She's Gone Country by Jane Porter

Synopsis from Goodreads:  Shey Darcy, a 39-year-old former top model for Vogue and Sports Illustrated led a charmed life in New York City with a handsome photographer husband until the day he announced he'd fallen in love with someone else. Left to pick up the pieces of her once happy world, Shey decides to move back home to Texas with her three teenage sons. Life on the family ranch, however, brings with it a whole new host of dramas starting with differences of opinion with her staunch Southern Baptist mother, her rugged but overprotective brothers, and daily battles with her three sons who are also struggling to find themselves. Add to the mix Shey's ex-crush, Dane Kelly, a national bullriding champ and she's got her hands full. It doesn't take long before Shey realizes that in order to reinvent herself, she must let go of an uncertain future and a broken past, to find happiness--and maybe love--in the present.

My thoughts:  I really enjoyed this book.  Porter does a great job of creating an interesting and believable story. The characters are honest and real.  I immediately felt like I could relate to this somewhat dysfunctional family.   Shey and her boys retreat to her family ranch in Texas which of course creates a whole new set of problems.  Shey has to find her spot on the family ranch, a place that she left in her early teens.  She has to adjust to the scrutiny of her mother who has a very different parenting style and learn to deal with the protectiveness of her older brothers.  


I loved the character development. Porter could easily spin off this story and tell us more about Shey's brothers and their lives.  I learned just enough about them to leave me wanting to know more.  There are a lot of lessons about letting go of the past and moving forward.  Not only about leaving past loves behind, but about watching your children grow up.  


The one thing that bugged me about this story was Shey's transition from hating her love interest to being madly in love with him.  It felt rather rushed to me.  I guess it is just a reminder of the fine line that runs between love and hate.


Jane Porter is a new to me author.  I hope to be picking up some of her other work soon.




Jane Porter's website 

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 23, 2010 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Wolfe said...

She was a new author for me too, and I feel right in love with her. I plan to rush out soon and see if I can find some more :o)

 
At August 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Darlyn said...

I thin I found her books on the store but never pick one yet. I think I will need to read her book soon!

 
At August 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM , Blogger StephTheBookworm said...

I've heard lots of good things about this one!

 
At August 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Julie P said...

Nice review, Teresa--I believe I have at least one of her books on my TBR shelf, but I have yet to pick one up....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home