This Page

has been moved to new address

Queen Hereafter by Susan Fraser King

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: Queen Hereafter by Susan Fraser King

Monday, January 3, 2011

Queen Hereafter by Susan Fraser King

Rather than rewrite the synopsis and introduction, you can find it in my Intro post.

My thoughts: I loved this book.  Since reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon I have a special place in my heart for Scotland.  This book also reminded me of one of my favorite books of 2010, The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by CW Gortner. 


I was interested in the relationship between Margaret and her husband Malcolm as the marriage was arranged for political alliance.  The relationship was certainly different from those that I am familiar with, but it did seem to be one of mutual love of and respect. 

The cast of characters was diverse and full of strong personalities beginning with Margaret.  When she vowed to do something, she put all of her heart into making sure that it got done and got done correctly. The other and almost equally important heroine in the story is Eva.  Eva is much like Margaret in her sense of duty and honor to her family.  She would do anything for her family, even if it wasn't the best choice for her. For those of you participating in the Strong Heroine Challenge I think Queen Hereafter is an excellent choice. 

Eva's betrayal is alluded to throughout the story, but it sneaks up on you because there is so much going on in the story.  This is a fantastic book for those readers of Historical Fiction that enjoy stories with some actual historical basis.  If you are looking for a bodice ripper, this book is probably too subtle for you.  This is a book that I would be comfortable passing onto my grandmother and I just might do that. 

My copy of Queen Hereafter was provided to me by the publisher for participation in the tour presented by TLC.  I would like to thank them for allowing me to read this fantastic book and introducing me to an author that I am sure to pick up again.

Other works by Susan Fraser King include Lady Macbeth which is now out in paperback.  I'm putting it on my wish list!

If you are a fan of Historical Fiction, Do you have a favorite author that I should be checking out?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At January 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Amused said...

I'm glad to see you liked this one so much. I read Lady Macbeth last year and had a really hard time with it but maybe I should give this one a try!

 
At January 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Blogger TheBookGirl said...

This one sounds great. I love historical fiction and have not read anything set in Scotland in a while, so I really appreciate you highlighting this one :)

 
At January 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM , Blogger LisaMM said...

So glad you loved it!! THanks so much for being on the tour!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home