This Page

has been moved to new address

ALA's Top 10 Challenged Books of 2009

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: ALA's Top 10 Challenged Books of 2009

Friday, April 16, 2010

ALA's Top 10 Challenged Books of 2009

I discovered this on a friends blog and have to share it with you. The ALA's Top 10 Challenged Books of 2009.

1. “TTYL; TTFN; L8R, G8R (series), by Lauren Myracle
Reasons: Nudity, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs

2. “And Tango Makes Three” by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
Reasons: Homosexuality

3. “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky
Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Anti-Family, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs, Suicide

4. “To Kill A Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee
Reasons: Racism, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

5. Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer
Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group

6. “Catcher in the Rye,” by J.D. Salinger
Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

7. “My Sister’s Keeper,” by Jodi Picoult
Reasons: Sexism, Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs, Suicide, Violence

8. “The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things,” by Carolyn Mackler
Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

9. “The Color Purple,” Alice Walker
Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

10. “The Chocolate War,” by Robert Cormier
Reasons: Nudity, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

How many have you read? I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in High School. Sure its controversial, that is what made some of our discussions so interesting. It was a learning experience for all of us. I read "My Sister's Keeper" a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what age group it is specifically targeted to, but I think it was okay for the teen crowd. Especially when you consider the things that they are watching on television and at the movies.

A couple of them are on my TBR list. I'm thinking it is about time to get to them. I have to admit, I've never had the desire to read the Twilight Series...

Anyone want to read through this list with me?

5 Comments:

At April 16, 2010 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've read quite a few on this list, and I am always amazed at the things people pick up on. Of course there is racism in To Kill a Mockingbird-that's sort of the point! And seriously, we are supposed to be incensed about a pair of co-parenting PENGUINS! I swear there are some people who are just looking for something to be mad about!

 
At April 17, 2010 at 11:34 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Ive read a few of those, all of them as an adult. In my teens I was reading Stephen King and Anne Rice which I think had far more sex, violence etc than all the above. But hey at least I was reading.

 
At April 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM , Blogger bermudaonion said...

I've read 4 of them and I wouldn't ban a single one of them. Of course, I don't believe in banning books at all.

 
At April 18, 2010 at 9:32 AM , Blogger test said...

interesting list. i've read 5 and would never have thought they were banned - they (and i guess all the books) present issues as is/realistically, which is the whole point of a book really ;P

guiltlessreading.blogspot.com

 
At April 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

4,5,6,7, and 9. This kind of cracks me up because I think of some of the popular books on the shelves now that are so over the top disgusting that I will not even pick them up and they choose these.

great post - I found this really interesting. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home