This Page

has been moved to new address

Goldengrove by Francine Prose

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: Goldengrove by Francine Prose

Monday, August 16, 2010

Goldengrove by Francine Prose

Synopsis from Goodreads:  After the sudden death of her beloved older sister, thirteen-year-old Nico finds her life on New England's idyllic Mirror Lake irrevocably altered. Left alone to grope toward understanding, she falls into a seductive, dangerous relationship with her sister's boyfriend. Over one haunted summer, Nico faces that life-changing moment when children realize their parents can no longer help them as she experiences the mystery of loss and recovery. Still, for all the darkness at its heart, Goldengrove is radiant with the lightness of summer and charged by the restless sexual tension of adolescence.

My thoughts:  I had the opportunity to read Goldengrove through a book group hosted at  Everyday I Write the Book.  I read the synopsis and thought "What the heck, I should try something new" so I jumped on board.

This story was a bit unnerving at times.  I was afraid for Nico on more than one occasion.   This story touches upon several intense subjects for a 13 year old to be dealing with, but doesn't explore them in depth.  It deals a bit with sexuality, depression and suicide, not to mention the major theme which was the death of Nico's sister.  Even though I feared for Nico, I was never truly invested in the story.  I'm somewhat pleased with the way things turned out.  The ending felt a bit rushed and I find it odd that Nico won't talk about someone that she had such a close relationship with. 

I'm glad that I read it, but it's unlikely that I'll read it again anytime soon.

Disclosure:  I received my copy of Goldengrove from the publisher to participate in the book group hosted at Everyday I Write the Book. 

Labels:

7 Comments:

At August 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Thanks for the honest review-I tend to stay away from these books for 2 reasons: 1)it has to be really well written to keep me from putting it down (books that deal with real life issues:death, suicide, ect have to hook me) and 2)it is a little to hard to imagine someone that young going through so much---though it happens, I just don't like to think about it.

 
At August 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Teresa said...

I know what you mean. I joke that I'm an ostrich. I keep my head in the sand. Especially with reading. Since I use it as an escape I tend to stay with happier books.

 
At August 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

very nice review, teresa. I know exactly what you mean about being an ostrich :) I like happy books too.

i gotta say the cover is gorgeous though.

 
At August 17, 2010 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Audra said...

Have you read anything else by Francine Prose? People I like go into swoons over her, but so far, the few things of hers I've read have left me cold. I'll pass on this book, for sure...

 
At August 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Thanks for the review - the cover drew me in.

 
At August 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Gina said...

Nice review. Such is the case sometimes when we try something new or out of our "box" so to speak....you win some, you lose some. Too bad this one fell on the wayside for you....but best wishes for happy reading on your next adventure! ^_^

 
At August 18, 2010 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Tales of Whimsy said...

I'm with Carrie. What a beautiful cover and great review.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home