This Page

has been moved to new address

First Impressions: The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: First Impressions: The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate

Thursday, October 28, 2010

First Impressions: The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate

Release Date: Oct 26, 2010


Synopsis from Goodreads: Holly Maguire's grandmother was the Love Goddess of Blue Crab Island, Maine–a Milanese fortune teller who could predict the right man for you, and whose Italian cooking was rumored to save marriages. Holly has been waiting years for her unlikely fortune: her true love will like sa cordula, an unappetizing old-world delicacy. But Holly can't make a decent marinara sauce, let alone sa cordula. Maybe that's why the man she hopes to marry breaks her heart. So when Holly inherits Camilla's Cucinotta, she's determined to forget about fortunes and love and become an Italian cooking teacher worthy of her grandmother's legacy. 

But Holly's four students are seeking much more than how to make Camilla's chicken alla Milanese. Simon, a single father, hopes to cook his way back into his daughter's heart. Juliet, Holly's childhood friend, hides a painful secret. Tamara, a serial dater, can't find the love she longs for. And twelve-year-old Mia thinks learning to cook will stop her dad from marrying his phony lasagna-queen girlfriend. 

As the class gathers each week, adding Camilla's essential ingredients of wishes and memories into every pot and pan, unexpected friendships and romances are formed–and tested. Especially when Holly falls hard for Liam . . . and learns a thing or two about finding her own recipe for happiness. 


My First Impression:  I was drawn to this book initially by the title.  My recent obsession with food related books has yet to be satisfied.  The second thing that I noticed about this book was the cover.  I wondered about the kitchen, whose kitchen is it, what happens.  Then I read the synopsis and knew that I had to read it.  


I know cover images are very important.  I've admitted myself that I do judge a book by its cover (just as I did with this one).  Knowing that the cover image played an important role in my own desire to read the book, I'm sure that you can imagine my surprise when I came upon this post from Girlfriends Book Club outlining how this wasn't the original cover.  I've learned that authors don't have much say in what their covers look like, but I didn't realize that it was driven by booksellers.  I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense.  The booksellers can see what books are being picked up and either bought or put back on the shelf.  Would I have had the same reaction to the initial book cover?  It's hard to say.  What about you?  Which cover would drive you to pick up this book.






First Impressions is a feature in which I tell you about a book that I've received, but not yet read.  My copy of The Love Goddess' Cooking School was sent to me by the publisher with the hope that I would review it.  

Labels:

5 Comments:

At October 28, 2010 at 6:01 AM , Blogger Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

The first cover is warm and inviting, the second cover is cute, but shallow. For me, the first cover offers a promising read, the second cover looks like something I'll eventually see on the discount rack at Barnes & Noble (not that I'm slamming the discount rack, I've found some awesome authors and books there!). I really want to read this, and I just downloaded the sample to my Kindle, because I'm trying not to buy a bunch of books at the moment.

 
At October 28, 2010 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I like the first cover better. It seems a bit more rustic. I adore Melissa Senate. I read and reviewed her last book. !

 
At October 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I like the first cover much better. I loved this book and reviewed it this week also(I had a plain covered arc). I'm not so sure the second cover would have me picking the book up to read the back. The first one would. No matter the cover...I loved the book and will be looking for more form Melissa Senate! I sure hope the book sells well.

 
At October 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM , Blogger Tales of Whimsy said...

I look forward to your thoughts. This one grabs me too :)

 
At October 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Julie P said...

I actually would be drawn to either cover if I was in the bookstore. I have waiting to read some reviews from some of my trusted blogger friends before deciding if I want to pick this one up.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home