This Page

has been moved to new address

One Day by David Nicholls

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: One Day by David Nicholls

Monday, October 18, 2010

One Day by David Nicholls

Synopsis from Goodreads:  It's 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. They both know that the next day, after college graduation, they must go their separate ways. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. As the years go by, Dex and Em begin to lead separate lives—lives very different from the people they once dreamed they'd become. And yet, unable to let go of that special something that grabbed onto them that first night, an extraordinary relationship develops between the two.
            Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. 


MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

My thoughts:  I had really high expectations for One Day.  I had read several favorable reviews of the book and gotten more than one personal recommendation.  Maybe it was because I had such high expectations that it fell short for me. 

I really liked the concept of viewing their lives over time on the same date and overall I thought that part of the story was well executed.  I really didn't understand either Emma or Dexter and found each of them difficult to like at times.  I wondered how could be such close friends and not sense something of the others feelings?  If they did sense them but didn't want to ruin their friendship, why not at least acknowledge them?  


Having said that, I did enjoy the book.  I just don't think it held up to the hype.  Had I not heard about how incredible it was, I likely wouldn't have had such high expectations and may have enjoyed it more.  Have you ever experienced a letdown after reading a book that had been hyped up?  I'd love to hear your experiences.


Disclosure:  I purchased my copy of One Day.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At October 18, 2010 at 4:15 AM , Blogger Carol said...

It is such a shame when we get all excited about a book and it is a let down. This one was not a let down for me but as I had read David Nicholls before I knew roughly what to expect.

I have been let down by a couple of books recently that were on a couple of TV Book Club lists. I usually like the Book Club lists so I do expect to enjoy them

enjoy ur week

carol

 
At October 18, 2010 at 6:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. I'd heard good things about The Memory Keeper's Daughter before I read it and when I did, I thought it was terrible. I think you're right, sometimes hype builds something up that it leads to feeling let down.

mykozykorner.blogspot.com

 
At October 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Book Club Reviewer said...

In answer to your questions, yes, I have read PLENTY of books that did not live up to the hype. Like the book I'm reading now, "Devil Talk" by Daniel Olivas. The title sounded creepy and the cover was totally awesome, but the stories in it were a total let-down. I expected these stories to have some kind of a supernatural twist with a background of Chicano culture. But they were just cheesy and confusing. I don't even think I'll be able to get through the rest of them. Have any of you been able to finish a book that's just not doing it for you in the beginning?

http://sandrasbookclub.blogspot.com
http://livinlavidalatina.blogspot.com

 
At October 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i tried to read this one and didn't get very far, so this one fell short for me too. i didn't make it past chapter one, i wasn't interested at all for some reason.

others have definitely fell short, books that have received nothing but 4 and 5 star reviews that I just thought were super boring or worse. when that happens i do love to find another reviewer/blogger who felt the same as me-so i'm glad you didn't love this one, LOL!!

 
At October 18, 2010 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Gina said...

Oh...too bad it didn't seem to be a good fit for you! Better luck next time...happy reading!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home