This Page

has been moved to new address

Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Jule Metz

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Jule Metz

Monday, October 4, 2010

Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Jule Metz

Synopsis from the back of the book:  Julie Metz's life changed forever on one ordinary January afternoon when her husband, Henry, collapsed on the kitchen floor and died in her arms.  Suddenly this mother of a six year old became the young widow in her bucolic small town.  But that was only the beginning.  Seven months after Henry's death, just when Julie thought she was emerging from the worst of it, came the rest of it: Henry had hidden another life from her. 

Perfection is the story of rebuilding both a life and an identity after betrayal and widowhood.  It is a story of rebirth and happiness- if not perfection.

My thoughts:  I experienced a range of emotions while reading this book.  I felt Julie's pain as she was presented with the sudden loss of her spouse.  Facing the prospect of being a single mother to her young daughter had to be daunting, let alone having to deal with the aftermath of Henry's death. 

I also felt anger because I didn't understand why Julie felt the need to seek further information about things that happened in Henry's life.  I know that we all handle situations differently, but there were times that I felt like she wasn't moving forward.  I must tell you that I appreciated the fact that she was so incredibly honest in sharing her grief with the reader.  The story had an edge to it that kept me reading during those times that I didn't think I could continue.

Finally I felt relief when things started to come together for Julie and her daughter.  I was glad that things turned out for them the way that they did.

I hope that doesn't give away too much of the story.  This is a pretty intense story that you will get caught up in.  I'm not sure exactly who I would recommend it to...I guess anyone who likes intensity.   

In preparation for writing this review I visited Julie's website which you can find at http://www.perfectionbook.com/.  I came across a picture of her and Henry, which I hope she doesn't mind me including it here.  When I saw this picture I thought that she'd done an excellent job of describing him.  He looked very much like the man I had pictured as I read their story. 


Disclosure:  I was provided a copy of Perfection in order to provide my honest review.  My opinions were not influenced by receipt of the book. 

Labels:

4 Comments:

At October 4, 2010 at 6:08 AM , Blogger StephTheBookworm said...

Wow, this sounds awesome! I love memoirs.

 
At October 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM , Blogger David W. Berner said...

This book reminds me a lot of "A Three Dog Life" by Abigail Thomas. Wonderful book; so very well written.

Memoir can be tricky - never should it be insufferable to read. I worried about that when I was trying to get my memoir - Accidental Lessons - published. But I carried on, and overcame it. I learned so much from good memoir writers.

David W. Berner
www.davidwberner.com
www.accidentallessons.com

 
At October 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Saw your name in the linky from Lori's Reading Corner Show Me The Money.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello...lovely blog.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

 
At October 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds good. Shall add to the wishlist. Thanks for the review.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home