This Page

has been moved to new address

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Teresa's Reading Corner: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen



**Please note- this review contains spoilers**

Pride and Prejudice is one of those books that has been sitting on my "To Be Read" pile for years. I kept saying that I wanted to get to it yet it kept getting pushed aside. One day a friend mentioned that she was reading it and I knew it was time.

Originally published in 1813 this novel was different than anything you'd see published today. Austen takes the reader to a place in time that is very different from what we are familiar with. The setting, the language, the fashion are all so different, but the story is one that anyone can identify with.

The main character is Elizabeth Bennett. She is the second oldest of five daughters and is not your typical 1800's century lady. She has a sharp tongue and wit about her that her mother just doesn't understand, but her father adores. Something I'm sure that many of us can relate to in one sense or another.

Pride and Prejudice is a story about Lizzie finding love where she least expects it. She learns a great deal about herself and her family along the way.

I'll admit that when I first started reading Pride and Prejudice, I had some trouble keeping all of the characters straight and I had to reach for the dictionary more than once. I eventually got through that phase and into the story and at that point I didn't want to put it down. I was so immersed in the story before me that I could imagine myself sitting next to Lizzie in the carriage as she made her travels. I could feel her confusion when Mr. Darcy confesses his love for her. I could feel her frustration in dealing with her younger sisters situation. This is what I loved about this book. It easily transported me to a time that was so utterly different from my own and made me believe what the characters were going through.

A wonderfully written story, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get to it. Reading and enjoying this story has encouraged me to pick up a few more classics. Which one should I tackle next?

Labels:

10 Comments:

At March 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa, I liked this book too and then when I watched the movie with Keira Knightly I was a total gonner for Jane Austen stories! Here I was in my 50's before I ever read it :)

If you want some recommendations, then another Jane Austen book I really liked was Persuasion, oh and Mansfield Park.

And then there are two others that I recommend, Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. I love those two even better than the Jane Austen books.

Nice review!

 
At March 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Teresa said...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

 
At March 24, 2010 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Tales of Whimsy said...

I'm ashamed to admit I've never read any Jane :(

 
At March 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Carin Siegfried said...

Wow, I'm both thrilled you read this and kinda horrified you hadn't already read it but I guess there's got to be a first time for everyone! My other fav Austens are Persuasion and Emma. But for other classics, I suggest The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (the very first mystery), Dracula by Bram Stoker (see what all the hype is about and it's totally worthwhile), The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark (short, sweet, and sassy), The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh (funniest book about a pet cemetary ever.) Have fun!

 
At March 25, 2010 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Teresa said...

Carin, I was kind of embarrassed to admit it myself :) Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out too. I'm really trying to branch out on the things that I read and connecting with you guys is helping me to do that.

 
At March 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

I just reread Pride and Prejudice myself. I remember reading it in college, but because it was an assigned book to read, didn't quite read it for the "fun" of it. I am so glad I reread it - what a great love story! I also went out and purchased quite a few classics: Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park - all by Jane Austen. I also picked up Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. These are all sitting on my shelves just waiting to be read.

 
At March 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

I just got the Pride and Prejudice Zombies/Dawn of The Dreadfuls- and as I also have not read the original(hanging head in shame) thought I should do so. My daughter recently read it and could not believe that I'd never read it. Not real sure why not but--off to run a copy down.
I'm glad found me at the Hop! I look foward to
checking out your other reviews
You have become a cherry on top of my sundae.
For an explanation to this crazy response, see
BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY at the top of my blog.

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/
(\___/)
(='.'=) Happy Easter from Bun!
(")_(")

 
At March 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM , Blogger April (BooksandWine) said...

I love Pride And Prejudice! I'm envious that you just finished reading it for the first time, ya know what I mean? That first time magic?

As for classics, I recommend The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It's rather swashbuckling!

 
At March 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Teresa said...

Thanks for the suggestions. It might be awhile, but I'll get to them. I'm looking forward to reading more classics.

 
At April 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Whitney said...

P&P is one of my favorites. If you'd like to continue reading Austen I'd suggest Sense and Sensibility, but I also love Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.

Thanks for visiting my blog via the hop, I'm a follower now too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home